Saturday 11 July 2015

A FOOD TOUR OF REYKJAVIK

When people return from Iceland, often they will tell you about all the beautiful and awe inspiring nature.  Undoubtedly, Iceland is a magnificent and individual place, but no one prepared me for the Icelanders' love of food.  Even at the office of 60 people, where I worked for a week, they had an in-house chef who cooked delicious and fresh meals every lunchtime.  Below I try to explain the Icelandic food experience.

Fish Market

This place had a great vibe, yet inviting and appealing to diners of all ages, and it possessed a cool soundtrack to boot.  Along with one of its sister restaurants Grill Market (below), the decor was an earthy modern Scandinavian.  The freshest sushi I've ever tasted, and the food served in a dramatic but stylish manner.

Adalstraeti 12ReykjavikIceland


Fish Company

More rustic, and less of an urban cool feel to it than its sister restaurants.  The feel here is more an open, airy, coastal affair. We stopped here for a birthday dinner, and I daresay the mains here were better than at Fish Market, but it does lack the atmosphere of some of the other restaurants.

Vesturgotu 2a, GrófartorgReykjavik 101Iceland


Grill Market

Visited here on the last night.  As my companion for that evening had arrived later than me, I was considering a return visit to Fish Market but, at the last minute, we decided to go with Grill, and did not regret the decision.  As an all-rounder it beats the rest. It is extremely hard to even begin to describe the decor and atmosphere of the place, and the food was simply divine.  Serves a mixture of meat and fish courses.

Laekjargata 2A, Reykjavik, Iceland


The Sea Baron

On the first day, I was part of a group of hungry girls searching for fish, and luckily one who had visited Reykjavik before, recommended this place.  Lobster soup is a classic in Iceland, and of the three I tried, the Sea Baron's was the best.  They also serve an incredible array of fish skewers, along with delicious bread (we asked them to refresh the bread basket three times).  Small, rustic and quirky, packed with locals, and a perfect reflection of the surrounding docks.

Geirsgata 8, 101ReykjavikIceland

Sandholt Bakery

On the last day, I had just enough time to grab some pastries and shopping before my coach departed.  On the plane ride home, I was so happy to have a delicious sandwich and scone from this place in my bag, and was nostalgically munching on some of the other pastries for my breakfast the next couple of mornings, which helped soothe my post holiday blues somewhat.

Laugavegi 36, Reykjavik

Icelandic Bread (in general)

A consistent theme throughout our trip.  The bread in Iceland is second to none (they say its due to the water, which is a wonder in itself).  At all the above restaurants we were served bread with or before the meal, but if you're going to be in an airbnb, its worth buying some from the bakery for your breakfast.

I hope that one day I can add to this list.  Please leave comments below on these or any other Reykjavik restaurants, or let me know if you want me to expand on the meals (could talk about them for days, to be honest).

1 comment:

  1. I’m really impressed along with your writing abilities well with the structure in your weblog. Is that this a paid subject matter or did you modify it your self? Either way stay up the nice quality writing, it is uncommon to look a great weblog like this one nowadays. www.continental-delight.com.sg

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails